This morning on my way to work, I was feeling quite happy listening to some India Arie when I had a moment. One of those moments when you feel the universe is trying to send you a message because too many things come together to give you a jolt. I was listening to "There's hope", and reflecting on the following lyrics...
As I am bopping my head to this song, one of the street sellers approaches my car. He's selling gum, mints, and other candy and i'm thinking...gosh, how much does he make in a day, and how can i be discontent with my lot when I pass by people like this everyday? Just then, I see the inscription on his square wooden container in which the candies sit. It reads "little market" on one edge and "ma weni nsɔ nea wo wɔ" (tr: be content with what you have) on another edge. The encounter has inspired me to count my blessings.
Back when I had a little
I thought that I needed a lot
A little was over rated,
but a lot was a little too complicated
You see-Zero didn't satisfy me
A million didn't make me happy
That's when I learned a lesson
That it's all about your perception
Hey-are you a pauper or a superstar
So you act, so you feel, so you are
It ain't about the size of your car
It's about the size of the faith in your heart
Off in the back country of
A met a young brother that made me feel
That I could accomplish anything.
You see just like me he wanted to sing
He had no windows and no doors
He lived a simple life and was extremely poor
On top of all of that he had no eye sight,
but that didn't keep him from seein' the light
He said, what's it like in the USA,
and all I did was complain
He said-livin' here is paradise
He taught me paradise is in your mind
Today, I'm thankful
1. For my fiance, and my family and the opportunity to love them.
2. That I have a job I like.
3. For my funky hair, and all that it represents.
4. For good health and laughter, and madness.
5. For books, and laptops, and my ipod and eyesight and even kindle even though I don't have one yet.
6. For sunshine, and beauty in unlikely places.
7. For friends who buy me books, take me to french restaurants and to see independent movies.
8. For friends who gossip with me, and make me laugh, and remind me how flawed we all are.
9. For friends who inspire me to be more than I am, and those who show through their actions that it's possible to change the world.
10. For friends who teach me that it's not enough to be smart or rich or even famous and that you have to be good person too and that maybe in the end, that's what matters because people will forget your brilliant speech, and your wit, but they'll never forget how you made them feel.
11. For music, inspirational people and peace.
12. For the opportunity to meet so many good, good men before I got cynical.
13. For the courage to pursue dreams and the support of friends when I doubt myself.
Most of all I'm thankful for life and the freedom to live it. What about you? What are you most thankful for today?